Monday, October 13, 2014

Girl In A Country Song

Just a few months ago, a new American country duo known as Maddie and Tae released their first single. Their single is called "Girl In A Country Song". As you can guess from the title, the song is about what it is like to be that girl described in a country song. Maddie and Tae sing about the ridiculous and unrealistic images and standards that the latest "bro-country" trend of music has set for women. The song includes references to Thomas Rhett's song "Get Me Some Of That", Florida Georgia Line's song "Cruise", and plenty more. The music video features a few men dressed and acting in a way that the "bro-country" songs describe women as dressing and acting, further proving the outrageous standards set for women in these songs. Below is Maddie and Tae's music video.
Country artist Brian Kelley, from Florida Georgia Line, was questioned about his views on Maddie and Tae's new song because they were one of the artists referenced in the song. He avoided the question, but eventually he claimed that he didn't know a girl who wouldn't want to be a girl in a country song. Maddie and Tae's response to Brian's statement can be found in a short article here as well as an interesting opinion of Maddie and Tae's song and the position it has put these girls in.

- Ashley Compton

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley! I thought the video was cute and funny but it also made a good point. However, when in the interview with Maddie and Tae, I thought it was kind of confusing how they said “You know, the whole thing is just us wanting to come at this from a different perspective and making sure that the girl in these songs these guys are singing about gets a voice ’cause you very rarely ever hear from her.” So do they consider themselves to be like "the girl in these songs these guys are singing about"? If yes, I think that is a little counterproductive to the point they are trying to make. But I think they have good intentions. Thanks for sharing!
    -Bridget Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley. I really liked this song that you found. I found it interesting how some of their first lyrics were about how the bikini tops were itchy and did they have to wear them all day and that it was cold in those shorts. It was an interesting way to mention how girls in country songs, or any song for that matter, are always in tight, short clothes and sometimes girls just want to dress comfy, not sexual. Also, it was funny how they had guys washing the truck in a sexual way. I think that it would show guys how it feels to be sexualized in song videos. Another thing that I found nice about this video is how the girls were mentioning wanting to be treated like real people instead of something to ogle at. I found it to be an empowering song for women. Thanks!
    -Ali M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ashley! I am actually a country music fan myself and I was so excited to hear this song when it came out. I have listened to country music since I was a little girl and I can't help but notice that women are becoming more and more sexualized in these songs. I love how Maddie and Tae called out all of the popular artists by directly referencing their lyrics. I was a little bit disgusted by Florida Georgia Line's comments and it made me feel like they were really arrogant. Some girls have better things to do than sit in a truck with some guy all day. Thank goodness there are still some sassy female artists out there like Maddie and Tae and thanks for sharing!
    -Sarah Jump

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was cool to see this video, because I watched it a few weeks ago. I'm not one for country music, it's just not my genre but I had seen comments about how great it was and that it should be watched. The trend of women taking back their bodies through music that normally sexualizes them (Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" is a good example too) is one of my favorite things but it is most definitely a double-edged sword. I think in this video it was done well because a lot of the music video starts out with women overly-sexualized and those women being switched with men. Of course, there are people who are going to complain about it but I do think this is one of the best ways for women artists to slam their foot down about these issues.
    - Amanda Blohm

    ReplyDelete