Thursday, October 9, 2014

Transgender Movement: Raising Awareness

The Transgender Movement is taking root throughout the world. It's important to draw awareness of this movement globally and represent this movement with many different faces.  It is also important to view this movement in a much broader sense than just gaining rights for those who don't identify with their birth gender, but gaining rights for everyone to be who they want to be, unrestricted by gender stereotypes. From little boys who like to play with barbies to women who hate wearing dresses to people who consider themselves trans-individuals, the Transgender Movement will affect everyone positively.
This video was published by the Asia- Pacific Transgender Network with the UNAIDS organization to spread awareness of this fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y62Wr5rvsg

-Sarah Reasoner

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite being someone who is aware of the transgender movement and in general how transgendered people are treated, I think that I personally still have a lot to be informed about. I believe that I have always only thought about Americans and the issues within the U.S. regarding how society treats transgendered people. So I think seeing this video, especially the fact that all these people are from different areas of the world, opens my eyes more to the fact that this is more of a global issue than I have thought of it as. And I agree with your statement about viewing this movement as more than just the transgender movement. Nonbinary genders fall under the trans umbrella and these are less acknowledged than transgender. It's vital, I believe, that society learns to treat everyone with the rights they deserve. - Amanda Blohm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed watching your video. It was really informing to be able to see transgender people from all around the world. When thinking about the trans gender movement, I tend to forget that the many issues of inequality, bullying, discrimination, etc. are occurring all around the world and not just in the Unites States. Hearing the stories of their rejections was heart breaking and I think that we need to spread as much awareness as possible. Society needs to learn that everyone deserves to be treated not only equally, but respectfully.
    - Ashley Compton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this video -- it was REALLY COOL seeing transgender people from many different backgrounds and everything. I really loved the idea behind this video and I've witnessed in my personal life the flaws in health care. Even in the basic concept of calling younger transgender individuals by their preferred name rather than their birthname doesn't work and it has a negative affect on the person seeking healthcare because they want to feel comfortable. The only thing that this video needed to do was expand on the non-binary individuals that fall under the umbrella term known as transgender. The other issue is how some people used transgender as a noun and possibly used "transgendered," but these were minor instances.
    -Elijah Zagorski

    ReplyDelete