Monday, November 10, 2014

Offside; Iranian Women Go Public

 
           It is so true that sporting events are so much better when you are watching them live. Because I live in semi-close proximity to Detroit, I am able to attend Red Wings Games as often as I please. When standing in line to get into the Joe Louis Arena, I have never given thought to the idea that I may not be allowed in because I am a girl. After hearing about what Iranian women have to go through to see their favorite sports teams, I realized how much being blocked from entering a game would hurt. Sporting events in general have a way of unifying fans as a whole; especially when it is a really important game. Iran experienced a massive surge of excitement when they were entered in the FIFA World Cup in 1998. This was a time of political darkness for the Iranian population and the world cup was seen as sort of a silver lining. It was finally a positive event that was happening in Iran. This occasion was no different than any other in regards to the laws against women attending sporting events therefore they were left out. To watch your country come back to life while you cannot be a part of it would be devastating! 
         This animation not only shows the Iranian women's desire to attend football games to support their team, but also that they cannot attend just like the village dogs. It is almost dehumanizing to them. These women have the same desire as any other Iranian football fan, but they will watch the excitement from the outside gates. As time proceeded some women took a stand and helped make a movie called Offside. In this movie, Iranian women sneak into a football game wearing men's clothes and covering their hair and faces and are arrested one by one for their offenses.

-Sarah Jump

1 comment:

  1. I think it's absolutely horrible that these people are not able to support their sports.Personally I'm not a big fan of sports but imaginging not being able to cheer on your favorite team in the crowd with other fans sounds a bit heartbreaking. I'm glad that some women are taking a stand against this unfair law and I hope that change comes soon.
    -Casey Coulter

    ReplyDelete