Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Ashley Compton's Introduction

Hello everyone my name is Ashley Compton and I am a sophomore at Eastern. For this blog I will be exploring and researching women and country music. I chose this topic because I have grown up listening to country music my whole life. Growing up, there was almost always country music playing throughout my house. It is all I ever remember listening to and it brings back many great memories when I hear certain songs. For these reasons it is my favorite genre of music to listen to now. However, as a woman who has grown up listening to it, I have noticed that the view of women in these country songs and music videos has changed quite a bit, in some ways for the better and in others for the worse. While watching country music videos or listening to certain country songs, women are not always portrayed in a positive light by some artists. In many songs and videos women are portrayed as weak, provocative, less than intelligent, and almost like an accessory to men.

My goal for this blog is to not only shed some light on the way women are portrayed in the songs and videos, but discuss how this portrayal has changed over time. I also hope to discuss what it is like for female artists in the country music industry and the ways they choose to portray themselves.

-Ashley Compton

No comments:

Post a Comment