Thursday, September 25, 2014

Christina's Introduction: Men, Masculinity and Sports

      Hello! My name is Christina and in my blog, which is about men, masculinity and sports, I will be discussing the standards male athletes are held to by society. There are many unacknowledged standards these athletes are held to. We often assume that men are tough, strong, and unemotional. We don't expect them to show any sort of weakness or vulnerability. For example, when a male athlete hurts himself in the middle of a game or match, while we are concerned for them, we expect them to shake it off, or at least act tough about it. Why is this? Why are men expected to always have a cool, calm and collected exterior? A lot of this attributes to sports. Sports are generally viewed as "masculine."
      This is just one of the many examples I will be discussing in this blog. There are many hardships male athletes go through, simply because they are men. The fact that these hardships are practically inevitable nowadays is unjust and corrupt. I hope to explore as many aspects of this topic as I can. For now, though, I will leave you with a few links to other blogs discussing masculinity and sports as well.

Men, Sports, and the Culture of Masculinity

Social Views of Masculinity related to Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment