Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Josie, Sexuality and Visual Art


Hey there!

My name is Josie Hicks, and this semester I'm choosing to blog about Sexuality and Visual Art. I chose this topic for a very personal reason, being that I'm very much offended by sexualization of all sorts, because it can easily lead to the objectification of a living being. However, I'm looking to really take a step back from my point of view, as much as humanly possible, and try my best to understand sexuality as an art form. I'm hoping to learn a great deal this semester, and share my thoughts often. Don't be afraid to post back, and spark some conversation amongst yourselves! Also, anything I post is definitely up for interpretation, so let me know your opinions.

So far, I've been searching through Google images, looking for an image to share with you folks. Lots, and lots of striking images. Some are very explicit, and others are not. Today, I'm going to leave you with this comic that I found concerning female sexuality in Islam.


Women in Islam and the West

1 comment:

  1. This is a very cool point of view! It is not very often that I think of wearing a bikini as catering to a male dominated culture. It makes sense though! Typically the idea of dressing somewhat scandalously is attributed to women's right to personal expression. This take on the subject really made me think. Thanks for sharing Josie!
    ~Sarah Jump

    ReplyDelete